Sunday, December 26, 2010

Goodbye, book comfort zone!

I have a book comfort zone. I tend to stick with fantasy... even more specifically epic or young adult fantasy. It's time to step out. New books, here I come! So, to force myself... here are some requirements. I must read AT LEAST:
-5 nonfiction. I really don't like nonfiction. But, here's to trying new things.
-10 classics. There are so many classics that I really want to read and just haven't gotten around to it. Now I have no choice!
-15 New York Times Bestsellers. They must be bestsellers for a reason. Time for me to find out.

Other than that, I want to read at least one book from let's say, 10 different genres? Yes, 10 sounds good.

And rereading? I don't know. I haven't decided if I want to count rereading or not yet. It sort of feels like cheating, but then again there are a lot of books that I have been wanting to reread. But I want this project to expand my reading horizon. And rereading just doesn't do that. So probably, if I do end up counting rereading, I will keep it to a minimum.

Also, there are a few books that I've wanted to read for forever, and I just haven't gotten around to it. Those are going on my must read in 2011 list, which so far includes:
1984 by George Orwell
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Forgotten God by Francis Chan
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I realize that this isn't a lot of requirements. But, reading 111 books in a year is a good enough goal in itself. And, at the very least, I will be reading a little bit of everything!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Giver :) That's one I brought to my bookcase in my apartment, one of those kinds of favorites. If I would have thought of it, I would have suggested it. So that's a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wuthering Heights is awesome!! I've read it twice and loved it twice. It is a little dark though :)

    um and Forgotten God is great and so is The Screwtape Letters.

    Good choices Holls.

    ReplyDelete