Sunday, January 23, 2011

Who wants some more dystopian young adult?!

As it turns out, keeping my pledge to finish one book before watching any more Grey's Anatomy wasn't actually that hard. I started reading The Maze Runner, couldn't put it down, and about 6ish hours later I was finished.

The Maze Runner by James Dashner is another dystopian young adult novel, and the first in a series of three. I also read The Scorch Trials, which is the second book in the series. The third book won't be out until October.

The first book opens when our narrator, Thomas, wakes up to find himself in the middle of a giant maze. He can't remember who he is or how he got there.
There are other boys there too, all with similar memory loss, and some have been there as long as 2 years, trying to find a way out of the maze. But soon after Thomas arrives, everything begins to change. And that's about all I want to tell you about the book, because part of what makes this book so good is the mystery. We readers are as clueless as Thomas, and his mind-blowing situation is so intriguing that I was absolutely dying for answers.

We do get some answers along the way, but those answers are almost annoyingly unexpected and ultimately just lead to more questions, which got frustrating about halfway through the second book. Things got to the point where they weren't really believable anymore, and nothing made any sense. So, I will hold my final judgement of these books until after I have read the third one. If Dashner can wrap everything up in a way that makes sense and just isn't stupid, which I think he is capable of, then he will have succeeded in writing one freaking awesome trilogy.

These books seem to be written on a low reading level, and I think they are probably aimed more at boys than girls. That being said, I still really enjoyed them. So if you are looking for an easy, exciting, suspenseful novel with a new and interesting plot, then look no further! However, I might suggest you wait until October. The Scorch Trials ends with a lot of unanswered questions, and it's going to be hard to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment