Sunday, January 16, 2011

A hate story

Last night I finished Wuthering Heights and I can't say that I actually enjoyed it. Is that allowed? Can I not like a classic? The main thing that I did not like was that it was so dark, and so full of hate. Was I supposed to be drawn in by the love story? The love story that subsequently destroyed everyone around them? Well, I wasn't. Now I know not all books have to be happy, and I'm sure it was full of literary value and all that. I personally just didn't enjoy it very much.

But, at least I learned why this is Bella Swan's favorite book! I have to say that it fits her well.

Now for something funny- I stumbled across this review, from Graham's Lady's Magazine in 1848

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors..."

Now I didn't think it was quite that bad!! That review is a little extreme. But, it made me laugh.

Anyway, I am very ashamed to admit that this little book took me four days to finish! So now, I am behind and I must get back to reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad you didn't like it :( But I can understand why. It is dark. That is why I like it. It deals with complicated emotions other than love and joy.

    haha, and I laughed at that review.

    ReplyDelete