Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day! - Part One

Ladies! Valentine's Day is approaching fast. Are you lonely and alone this Valentine's Day? Are you disappointed, because your significant other isn't living up to your Edward Cullen standards? Are you craving a good love story to wash away all your Valentine's Day blues?

Well look no further! I'm featuring reviews of some great chick lit, right here on my blog, just in time for Valentine's Day. Today I'm going to talk about Sarah Dessen's novel, The Truth about Forever.

The Truth about Forever is narrated by Macy, a teenage girl grieving the loss of her father. Summer has just begun, and Macy's perfectionist boyfriend has left for brain camp. Macy is expecting a boring and lonely summer, until she meets some new friends and you guessed it, a new boy. Despite what is probably a slightly predictable and perhaps a little cheesy plot, I really, really liked this book. I actually finished it in one sitting, even though it took until 3am. The characters drew me in right away. And although there is an irresistible boy and some exciting romance, this novel actually had surprising depth. Macy is struggling with the grief of her father, the high standards of her mother, and her low expectations of herself. Now, I'm not saying it's a work of literary genius- it's predictable, a little contrived, sappy, and probably completely unrealistic. But I loved it. Definitely some good young adult chick lit, and I think all you ladies of any age would enjoy it.

So that is my Valentine's gift for you, part one. Check back tomorrow for my review of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, a breathtaking paranormal romance that all you Twilight fans are guaranteed to love.

1 comment:

  1. You're adorbs, Holly! :) I love that you posted this for V-day. I'm glad this had some redeeming depth.

    ReplyDelete