Monday, February 21, 2011

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You, and other spy stories.

So, you know that whole library eBooks on my phone thing that I was complaining viciously about a few days ago? Well perhaps I spoke too harshly, or too soon. I still mean everything I said about it being frustrating and not user-friendly and all that. But maybe the whole free books thing counts for more than I thought, because in the past few days I have devoured several free eBooks on my phone.

Which brings me to today's topic: Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series. There are four books in this young adult series (although I think she plans to write two more) and I read the first three. I am impatiently waiting for my name to come up on the waiting list for number four. The first three books are, in order, I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You, Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy, and Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover.

So what are these Gallagher Girls books all about?? Well, think Harry Potter, and then mix it with Alias, and then throw in a little of something like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. This series follows Cammie Morgan, a witty teenage girl who attends Gallagher Academy, which is an all girls boarding school with a twist- Gallagher Academy is a top secret school for spies! Cammie, who knows fourteen different languages, discovers there is one language she doesn't understand: boy! In the first book, Cammie finds first love, but there's a problem. He's a normal boy, and she's a spy. Will their relationship survive her secrets? The second book gets more exciting when Cammie and her friends discover a secret spy school for boys. Can Cammie trust Zach, a super cute and attractively mysterious spy? And the third book is the best yet. When someone tries to kidnap Cammie's friend Macey, her spy skills are put to the ultimate test. Suddenly all her training had become real.

These books may sound like fluffy, vapid, girly books, but they are so not! There is so much surprising wonderfulness packed in this series. The best part is Cammie's witty, unique voice, which provides a humorous and fun depiction of life at spy school. The supporting characters in the books are great too: from Cammie's sleek spy mom, her crazy professors, and her super smart super fun friends that Cammie wouldn't be able to survive without!

My description just can't really do these books justice. Let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised by the Gallagher Girls series, and I would definitely recommend them!

No comments:

Post a Comment